Sound Horizons: Designing for Perspective, Connection, and Reflection / MFA Thesis 2015

irene2

Some days technology really wrecks me. I wake up and the first thing I do is reach for my phone to switch off my alarm. Without thinking, I make my way through text notifications, email, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and the Weather app. I wake up, and I don’t look out through my window.

When I think about our relationship with technology, there is a lot to be grateful for. But experience also reminds us that access and ease are only part of what goes into a meaningful life. How are we spending our minutes, our hours, and our days? What will we remember when we look back?

My work is a meditation on our relationship with mobile, networked technology. Using sound as a tool, both in the process of designing and within the designed, I am exploring ways to disrupt habitual, automatic behavior. My goal is to broaden the conversation interaction designers have when considering the whole complexity of the human experience for which we are designing.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
http://irenechou.com/